Saturday, March 5, 2011

Why Most Self-Help Books Stink(and a few that don't)



Did you read the comments below the article?  Just the ones that show below the article...not all 1197 of them.  I love reading diverse comments on articles that are purely opinionated from the get go.  It always makes me wonder why they are so passionate(hatefully or kindly)towards OTHERS opinions....Hmmm, what was Self-Help author Dr. Phil's lesson in Life Strategies?  Oooo, I remember....

Life Law #6: There is no reality; only perception.
Strategy: Identify the filters through which you view the world.


That Life Law is not nescessarly what I believe to be true(at least not as it is stated)
To me, There IS reality...and YES, this IS perception...I guess in most cases than not, you better chose to BE in reality and identify your perception about it.  Heck, maybe that's what he meant anyway...it's been so long since I've read that book.
I will say after reading Dr. Phil's Life Strategies when it first came out(2000) I DID get from it...not all advice helped me with why I read it, but alot of it did. 

I sure enjoyed David Gregory's Books...they, to me, are kinda like a self-help book.  And a few of  Frank Peretti books have been helpful to me as well...and not to forget Brennan Manning's book The Ragamuffin Gospel.  Those are only a few off the top of my head...I have read quite a few "self-help"(well, at least "I" considered them self-help)books in my time, and will pass them along to others' whom I may feel could benefit as well.


So, what do YOU think?  How do YOU feel about Self-help books?  And if you're a fan, please share which ones you love and why(if you'd like)...I'm always looking out for any type of book that gives information of "how to live" a better life.

No comments: